Dorena Historical Society

Old Row River Valley Post Offices

At one time there were numerous small Post Offices in the Row River Valley, but now only the Dorena Post Office remains.

The first Post Office in the valley was Star.  It opened in 1891 and closed in 1923.  It was located near Sallee Road about a mile up river from Dorena School.

There was a Post Office called Bluff from 1892 until 1899.  The exact location of this office is unknown.

From 1896 until about 1922 there were numerous small Post Offices in the Bohemia Mining District.  Among these were Bohemia, Champion, Mineral and Orseco.

The Wildwood Post Office opened in 1888 and closed in 1914.  It was located on a ranch adjacent to Wildwood Falls.

This Disston Post Office was established in 1906 and was open until the 1970s.

The Row River Post Office was established in 1911 and closed in 1914.

The Rujada Post Office was opened in 1916 and closed in 1918.  Rujada County Park is located in the vicinity of this long forgotten little office.

The Culp Creek Post office was established in 1925 and was closed in 2007. It was located in a private home until the early 1980s. It was certainly one of the last offices in the state to be located in someones living room.

The history of the Dorena Post Office was detailed on the first post on this blog back in December of 2009.

posted by dorenahistoricalsociety in Uncategorized and have No Comments